Hey Guys -
Here's a look at what I was thinking about for the project on an individual level. I am totally open to compromise though, on pretty much everything except that I do think that we should try to exhibit on site. I'll try to put together some articles about temporary landscapes and post them for you all to read if you have the time.
- Hannah
* What medium(s) does our project take?
I am primarily interested in temporary landscapes, and pop-up installations, and their ability to reach those that are otherwise not visibly involved in the issues surrounding SPURA. I think (given our time constraints) this could be most effectively implemented through the use of a video projected landscape (physical, imagined) of some sort.
* What is the scope?
I see our role as purely facilitative. It is not our place to decide on a solution for the site, rather, our project should aim only to act as an effective catalyst towards positive dialogue within and between the community and the government.
* What are our goals?
To present an installation, or series of small installations, that allows the community to revision the SPURA site - preferably in a non-verbal manner so that we may contact those who are otherwise disenfranchised by language barriers.
* What is the question our project tries to answer?
Can our installation alter perceptions of the site in a way that will lead to community interaction?
* What is our strategy?
As I earlier suggested, I am interested in those on the periphery of the SPURA controversy. We've only recently been introduced to the stories of those who live within the community but bought their apartments at market rate, and I have read almost no recent Asian or Jewish perspectives - despite the demographics of the area. Further, the language barrier is an incredibly difficult hurdle to jump, so I have been forced to truly examine how I feel the installation could best reach the entire community. I think that, more than anything, we should focus on non-verbal communication. I don't think that this would necessarily mean we couldn't have sound, but translating would be too time intensive.
* What are our production plans?
I feel very strongly that we should exhibit at least our part of the class project on site. Preferably, I would like to see a video projection from within the parking lots - either onto a screen set up in the parking lot or onto a building. Alternately, we can explore the use of local venues. On a smaller scale, we can talk to neighborhood cafe's and restaurants about projecting onto their walls. If we decide not to make use of projection and instead opt for a more physical installation, I would still prefer to see it in a public space on or near the SPURA site.
* What is a timeline of what we need to get done?
* What role does art play in our project?
* Who is our audience?
Those who might otherwise be unaware or uninvolved in SPURA happenings.
Sunday, October 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Cool Hannah,
ReplyDeleteDefinitely post those temporary landscape pieces! I find that stuff very interesting, too.
I think it would be cool to do both video and a physical/sculptural piece, we'll see what we all think.